Pork Liempo is used in making this recipe for its crunchiness and taste. Usually, some Filipinos use pig ears in making sisig. Nowadays, much of it is explored. Try making your own sisig out of your new ideas.
1/4kg chicken liver
3-4 medium sized onions
3 cloves garlic
10 pcs kalamansi
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 pcs. siling labuyo
2 pcs. eggs
salt to taste and use it when boiling the liempo
pepper to taste and use it when boiling the liempo
1.) Boil the liempo together with lemon or calamansi juice, pepper, salt, crushed garlic and a teaspoon of baking soda - this will make the liempo skin crunchy and radiant-golden-brown in color.
2.) Let it boil for 45-60 minutes in low to medium heat. Drain the liempo and leave in room temperature making sure it gets dry.
3.) After at least 6 hours, deep fry the liempo make sure it’s well covered with oil. Flip it accordingly until you achieve a crispy exterior, do this in high heat to hasten the process. That will help the liempo retain its juices inside and won’t get dry. Cut the liempo into small tidbits and set aside.
4.) Saute half of the onions sliced into strips, crushed garlic in 2 tablespoons cooking oil until onions are translucent and garlic is golden brown. Add chicken liver cut into small strips. Stir frequently and crush the liver as it cooks, add your liempo tidbits and soy sauce. Let it simmer for 5minuntes. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
5.) Heat your hot plate and serve the sisig, Add the remaining onions, sili, and egg (it should be straight from the shell, the heat from the hot plate is enough to cook it). Best with hot sauce, a lot of calamansi and onions.
1) Don’t overdo the baking soda, it can make your dish bitter.
2) Make sure your liempo is dry before frying it, you can use paper towels to remove excess water
3) Let the liempo in room temperature at least 6 hours
4) Use scissors when cutting the liempo to tidbits, it’s a lot easier than knife
5) You can use mayonnaise instead of eggs
6) You can saute the chili along with the onions and garlic but you might not be able to control the heat from the chili.
7) Feel free to add/remove/change any of the ingredients above according to your taste. The main goal is to satisfy your craving.